Saturday, October 25, 2008

Just slowly fade away...

Yeah, I know I haven’t updated this in a while, but my laptop broke, and it’s not like anything cool has happened to me lately. Life sucks when you’re in junior college, and nobody cares about you.

That said, I did see Nine Inch Nails on Thursday night and it was something of a non memorable show.

I got to Northwoods around 6 P.M. hoping to meet Day and her friend, well Day was there, but no friend. 45 minutes later and six bad conversations later, Day’s friend finally shows up, she looked like Sarah Palin with tattoos and in boy’s clothing. Anyway, we finally make our way to the AT&T Center and I was able to retrieve my ticket from the NIN.com presale, because I’m a nerd and am in the fan club. I was let into the venue early where I then bought an overpriced long sleeve shirt to weather the less than Texas weather we’ve been having. Now it was time to stand with all the other rabid ones in the GA area, what a ride.

As I stood with everyone in GA, I noticed a crowd pattern. Douchebags, Cholo’s and Chola’s, Posers, and Fat Goths. I’m ashamed to be from San Antonio because the crowd sucked and 75% of them probably haven’t heard a NIN song that wasn’t on the radio, plus, they don’t know how to behave. An hour after grabbing my spot in line, the first band started, Ghostland Observatory, and wow, they were bad. The DJ comes out in a cape, and what appears to be a guy comes out and his voice sounds like Kristen Wiig’s Target lady character on SNL. It was Daft Punk for douchebags. Every song sucked and the lead singer moved like Scott Weiland meets Axl Rose, I was hoping that they’d break into Sex Type Thing or Mr. Brownstone, but no dice. One of the worst 35 minutes of my life.

NIN hit the stage around 9:15, mind you, I was in GA, so three songs in, I had to crowd surf to the front to make my way to the side and stand there for the rest of the night because I feared for my life with all the rowdy idiots who think it’s cool to push everyone. Here is a song by song review of the show.

1.999,999- Oh it’s dark, I wonder what the opener will be?
2.1,000,000 –Awesome opener, rowdy…OH NO, I CAN’T BREATHE!
3. Letting You –Oh no, still rowdy, good song, damn, my life might end at a NIN show, how lame am I
4. Discipline- Okay, I’ll crowd surf my way to the front so I ca watch it from the side, this crowd sucks, I wish I could’ve danced shirtless to this one.
5. March of the Pigs- Jesus Christ, this song is still being played and the crowd is rowdy as ever, I feel sorry for the guy next to me whose lithograph is trashed.
6. Head Down- Christ, this song sucks; don’t make me laugh Trent, DON’T MAKE ME LAUGH!
7. The Frail- Ooh piano, pleas break into…YES…YES…Oh thank the heavens you gave us…
8. The Wretched- One of the best songs of the night, Robin Finck’s guitar playing was flawless, I love this song. Thanks Trent.
9. Closer- Wow, I hate this song, probably the only song everyone in the crowd knew, what a shame.
10. Gave Up- RAW! I love this song, intense as ever and still one of the best live songs from the band.
11. Corona Radiata- BORING!
12. The Warning- Oh lord, really, oh, I guess its okay
13. The Great Destroyer- Seriously Trent, this Year Zero business has to stop, these songs sucks.
14. Ghosts
15.Ghosts
16. Ghosts- These songs are boring and lame, I took a potty break because it killed the mood and I needed to go.
17. Ghosts Piggy- Not much of a difference from the original one, but it’s still one of my favorite NIN songs ever.
18. The Greater Good- More boring Year Zero crap. YAWN!
19. Pinion- I guess Wish is next.
20. Wish- Thank God, I love this song too, everyone is rowdy again, but it’s so intense, I don’t care, awesome version.
21. Terrible Lie- Wow I didn’t expect this. /sarcasm
22. Survivalism- One of my favorite Year Zero songs, and yet it was weak, at least the video screens were cool.
23. The Big Comedown- WOOO! Another Fragile song, Robin can play it, great job, always a good choice.
24. Ghosts- Seriously Trent, cut it out.
25. Only- I love this song, its different live, but it’s still good.
26. The Hand That Feeds- Overplayed, but the picture of Bush morphing into McCain was cool.
27. Head Like a Hole- Expected, nothing different from any other performance.

Encore:
28. Echoplex- Great song, I love it, the visual was awesome.
29. God Given- Hands down, best song of the night, way better than the studio version, simply awesome.
30. The Good Soldier- Yawn
31. Hurt- Yawn
32. In This Twilight- Yawn

As you could tell, it wasn’t great, but it was good. Robin is an amazing guitarist, and Trent was as intense and spectacular as ever, Josh was beating the skins and Justin was way better than Jeordie. Great performance, bad crowd, but it was worth it. I got home late and met the manager of Sugar’s who agreed to hook me up for an after party, how awesome. See them if you can, because they still put on a great show, just hope and pray that your crowd is better than mine.

No comments: